Visiting SCPKU

Maps & Directions


Transportation to SCPKU

SCPKU is conveniently located in the Lee Jung Sen Building - Langrun Yuan in the northeast corner of the Peking University (PKU) campus. See the two maps below. PKU is in northwest Beijing's university and high-tech Haidian district between the 4th and 5th Ring Roads. Tsinghua University and Renmin University are just a few blocks away. Visitors can reach PKU via subway, bus, or taxi. The easiest way to get to PKU is by subway. The Beijingdaxue Dongmen station on Line 4 (Peking University East Gate) is a 10-minute walk from the Center - take Exit A from the station (see Map 2's lower right corner, marked with yellow circle).


Map 1 - PKU location in Beijing

beijing map


Map 2 - SCPKU location at PKU

scpku walking map large

Map 3 - PKU Main Campus

skype picture




From Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK)

By taxi - Follow the exit sign for the taxi, then take the elevator down and wait in line for a legitimate taxi. Taxis are relatively inexpensive in China and are the most convenient way to get around Beijing. As very few cab drivers speak English, it is recommended that non-Chinese speakers have the destination information written out in Chinese characters. Fares start at 10 RMB for the first 3 kilometers and cost 2 RMB for each additional kilometer. The taxi meter runs while waiting in traffic. The taxi fare from the airport to PKU West Entrance (for vehicles) is about 120 RMB.

By Airport Express Train (light rail) & Subway - Follow the exit sign for Airport Express, take the express to Sanyuanqiao, station. Transfer to subway line 10, and exit at Suzhoujie station, then take a taxi to campus. The total cost is about 40 RMB (25 for Airport Express + 2 for subway +13 for a taxi). Airport Express runs 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Map

By Airport Shuttle - Follow the exit sign for Airport Shuttle, take the shuttle bus (line 5) to Zhongguancun and get off at the last stop, then take a taxi to PKU. The total cost is about 30 RMB (16 for Airport Shuttle + 14 for the taxi).

From City Center

By Subway - See Map 2 above. Beijingdaxue Dongmen station on Line 4 (Peking University East Gate) is right outside Peking University's East Gate. Take Exit A (Lakeview Hotel; see Map 2's lower right corner, marked with a yellow circle). Upon exiting the station, almost immediately turn left. This road leads to PKU's Northeast Gate (labeled on Map 2). Once inside the campus via the Northeast Gate, turn to the right, and follow the red path as highlighted to SCPKU. Before reaching SCPKU, you will cross a white bridge and turn left. SCPKU is at the end of the path on your right, past the Economics Institute. Note that all subway rides cost a flat fee of 2 RMB regardless of a number of transfers, distance, time of the day, or duration of the travel. Tickets can be purchased at all station kiosks. Subway trains run 5:00 a.m. –10:30 p.m. For more information see the Beijing Subway website and subway map.



  • Transportation by private car is strongly discouraged as there is no parking available on the PKU campus. Please arrange to be dropped off if coming via a private car.
  • Vehicle entrance into PKU is strictly managed and requires advance notification and approval. If arriving by taxi, shuttle, or private car, please contact SCPKU's Events Manager, Peggy Zou, at least one business day prior to your arrival so that entrance into PKU can be arranged in advance through Peking University's Gate Security Office.


Housing Near SCPKU




These are suggested hotels that are reasonably-priced and located directly on the PKU campus within walking distance of SCPKU:

Lakeview Hotel
127 Zhongguancun North Road
Haidian District, Beijing
Tel: 86-10-8268-9999
Fax: 86-10-8268-9998
Website (in English):

This is an up-scale hotel with bilingual staff and the closest hotel to SCPKU. See Map 2 above with the walking path from the Lakeview Hotel to SCPKU highlighted in blue. Reservations can be made online or via phone or fax. Lakeview Hotel address card to show the taxi driver.


Shao Yuan Guest House
Tel: 86-10-6275-2218
Fax: 86-10-6275-7360
Website (in Chinese):

Shao Yuan provides dormitory-style accommodations and is the current residence of the Bing Overseas Study Program (BOSP) students. The Guest House does not have an English website; however, you can visit its Chinese website to browse photos of the guest rooms. Reservations can be made via phone or fax.


PKU Apartments:


Zhongguanyuan Global Village
126 Zhongguancun North Road
Haidian District, Beijing
Tel: 86-10-6275-2288
Fax: 86-10-6275-2289
Website (in English):


Zhongguanyuan is located across the street from PKU and has accommodations that are more comfortable for long-term visits. Hotel rooms and dormitory-style accommodations are also available. Reservations can be made online or via phone. Note that this facility is popular so advanced booking is recommended.


Beijing Apartments:

For long-term stays, renting an apartment in the Haidian district or elsewhere in Beijing is an option. Contact Peggy Zou for more information.


General China Travel Tips


United States citizens will need a visa to enter China, which can be obtained from the Chinese Consulate nearest you. The People’s Republic of China maintains one embassy in Washington, D.C., and five consulates in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Click here to find the consulate office that serves your region.

Additional visa information for United States citizens can also be found at the United States Department of State website or at China's US embassy website.

Non-U.S. citizens may also apply for visas in the U.S. but may not get the number of entries or desired duration of stay originally applied for.

Other resources:

Do I Need a Chinese Visa? Applying for Chinese Visa in the U.S.

Stanford Computer/Device Travel Loaner Program (for Stanford faculty and staff only)


Travel Emergencies and Registries

For United States citizens, the United States Embassy in Beijing provides some emergency assistance, including a list of medical facilities known to treat foreigners and contact information for legal issues.  You should also review Stanford's Office of International Affairs (OIA) website and register your travel plans in the International Travel Registry accessible from OIA's home page. This registry tracks international travel for faculty, staff, post-doctoral researchers, and students so that the university may respond appropriately in the event of a crisis.

Also, if you are a U.S. citizen or national, you should register your trip with the Smart Travel Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service offered by the U.S. Department of State for trip registrations with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  You are also advised to review Stanford's Medical, Personal, Travel, and Security Assistance Services web site which covers, through its participating vendors, the university's 24/7 resources on call, online, and on the ground to help with medical, security, and logistical questions, concerns, and situations that may arise when Stanford faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars and students, as well as their spouses, domestic partners, and dependents, are traveling abroad while on Stanford University business or research and/or participating in Stanford University programs.  


Other Travel Tips China Travel Tips China Travel Guide